2019 SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM (Paid college internships with free on-site housing)
Founded in 2014, the Piedmont Physic Garden is a nonprofit botanical garden focused on health and wellness education. Located in the historic section of Union, South Carolina. Upon completion, the garden will feature several ornamental vistas in addition to our existing medicinal plant collection and survival garden.
Our focus on health and wellness is reflected in the word physic, which refers to the art or practice of healing disease. Our inspiration is London’s Chelsea Physic Garden founded in 1673.
The eight-week college internship program is designed to offer “hands-on” experience with a “start-up” nonprofit organization. We are seeking college majors in Biological Sciences, Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, STEM Education and Public Relations/Marketing.
Our interns will work as a team and will have responsibilities spread across four (4) key areas:
1) Assist staff in developing horticultural and environmental education curriculum for grades K-12 as well as for adult continuing education classes.
2) Establish an online resource library, to include curriculum materials and/or resources.
3) Assist staff with organizing and facilitating community outreach activities.
4) Arrange and lead garden tours.
5) Monitor group field trips with outside organizations.
Public Relations and Marketing:
1) Research and write several short articles on a variety of topics for PPG’s blog.
2) Create a summer newsletter.
3) Update the website.
4) Write press releases as needed.
5) Assist staff with developing marketing strategies for effective community engagement and outreach.
1) Assist staff with pruning, dividing, mulching, fertilizing. transplanting, managing pests and plant installation as needed.
2) Assist staff with weed management as needed.
3) Assist staff with turf management as needed.
4) Water areas that are not on the irrigation system.
5) Actively participate in keeping the campus clean of trash and debris.
6) Adhere to high aesthetic standards throughout the premises.
1) Maintain database for all medicinal and culinary herbs and plants in the garden.
2) Research the cultural meaning and uses of the herbs and plants.
3) Explore the historical collaboration between modern medicine practitioners and native healing traditions in phytotherapy, ethnobotany and pharmacy.
4) Recommend additional herbs and plants to add to the garden through research and wild crafting.
Positions run for 8 weeks beginning on Monday, June 3rd and ending Friday, July 26th. Work schedule is Monday – Friday from 8:00 to 4:00 with flexibility to work on weekends if needed.
1) Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
2) Strong organizational and time-management skills.
3) Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel.
4) Ability to work independently in a “start-up” environment.
5) Energetic, hard-working and enthusiastic team player.
* Ability to lift fifty pounds, willingness to work in adverse weather conditions and a valid driver’s license are required.
PPG offers free on-site housing with utilities, Internet and cable plus a weekly stipend of $7.25 per hour.
Submit a cover letter, resume and three (3) references to:
VIA regular mail
Piedmont Physic Garden
PO Box 603
Union, SC 29379